Monday, 4 July 2011

Week Three - Day One: Lemony Baked Salmon

I'm going to do this one..

By this I really mean eat it. Buy the salmon, cook it using the salmon, eat it.. the salmon. I really am stepping out aren't I? Quite a few of these dinner ideas (mainly at the start) were from the 'seafood' section and I am not a fan of any of that. I wont say no to fish 'n' chips or pre crumbed fish.. I'm too scared to buy my own and crumb it or venture out and put it in a what seems flash dinner idea. So this really is branching out for me. I don't know what I'm scared of.

So far all of these meals have been just divine, or soothing as they were hearty and filled my soul with food love! Wish me luck.. I'm venturing in to the kitchen after this with my cookbook turned to page 205 and uncertainty in my heart!


This meal is rich in omega-3 (healthy brain development and glowing skin), vitamin D for strong bones, diety fibre for colon health and lycopene for a healthy heart and skin! Did you know children who eat fish are less likely to develop asthma?!


Lemony Baked Salmon (GF, V&Vn)

Prep time - 5 minutes
Cooking time - 25 minutes

1 1/2 c brown rice
1/4 kent of pumpkin
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes
125g of baby corn
extra virgin olive oil
1 medium lemon
3 salmon fillets (or 1 whole rainbow trout )
small handful of flat leaf parsley
2 t minced garlic

Preheat the oven to 220oC. Bring a large pot of water to the boil and cook rice for 25 minutes. Once the rice is cooked drain well. Meanwhile cut off the pumpkin skin and dice the flesh. Microwave in a small amount of water for 3 minutes to make the pumpkin partially soft. In a large baking tray lined with baking paper place the pumpkin, baby corn and tomatoes on top. Drizzle with 2 t of oil and bake for 10 minutes.

While they're cooing marinate the fish by grating the rind of the lemon to make up 1 t of zest. You can add more if you wish (I will!). Juice half of the lemon onto a plate and add the garlic also. Marinate the fish and then lay it amongst the vegetables. Sprinkle on more of the of the lemon juice, lemon zest and and the parsley, chopped. Bake for 10-14 minutes. Check after 7 minutes as cooking time does depend on the thickness of the fish. Serve on a bed of rice.



NEED DINNER IN 12 MINUTES?

Buy rice that's ready in the microwave in 2 minutes, steam the fish with garlic for 10 minutes using a steamer. Vegetables can also be microwaved and the tomatos served raw. drizzle with oil and lemon before serving!



~ ~ ~ ---***TOMORROW***--- ~ ~ ~

No comments:

Post a Comment